Primskovo is located in the heart of the Dolenjska hills, which are covered with vigorous forests frequently separated by little valleys with cultivated fields and by vineyards and vineyard cottages on the sunny slopes of the hills, where narrow trails connect 16 hamlets. The first known reference to Primskovo dates from 1258 with the name of “Prinskau”. According to oral lore, the town got its name from the shout “Prim se za kou!” (Hold on to the pole!), as people walked the steep trails from the Primskovo village at the foot of the mountain to the top of Primskovo.
Primskovo allures from a historical archaeology perspective, as it is famous for the remains of one of the most magnificent defence camps against the Turks in Slovenia. It is also an important pilgrimage centre – pilgrimage from the Dolenjska region. Three churches are inside the camp: the pilgrimage Church of the Nativity of Mary, the Church of St. Nicholas, and the Church of the St. Peter. Primskovo is associated with the extraordinary Jurij Humar. The Reverend of Primskovo, Jurij Humar, a miracle man from Primskovo, served between 1876 and 1890, when he passed away. Primskovo is also famous for being a belvedere of Dolenjska. From its peak, one can admire the Gorjanci hills to the south-east, Kočevje and Ribnica hills to the south, the Julian Alps with the mighty peak of Triglav to the west, the Karavanke and Kamnik-Savinja Alps to the north-west, and the Menina planina and Kum, Zasavska Sveta gora and Vače to the north.