Velika Štanga and its surroundings
The forest of Štanga (Stangenwald) was first mentioned in 1527 in a document by emperor Karel V. Hamburg ordering deforestation to stop. In Slovene archives, it is first mentioned in 1544. The area encompasses several small hamlets beneath the Kampel hill (716 m a.s.l.), the highest peak in the Šmartno pri Litiji municipality. Numerous chestnut trees were growing here, providing wood for mineshaft pillars in the vicinity. These pillars are locally referred to as “štanga” (bar, rod), hence the name of the territory on the rolling plateau between the Draga and Štanga streams that flow into the Reka river. The Štanga area is rich in the fruits of nature; there is a lot of chestnut, blueberries and mushrooms, it is famous for the “štrangarke” cherries, good bee pasture and the pilgrimage church of St. Anthony of Padua.
TIC Šmartno, Staretov trg 25, t: 01 898 78 67